The Lesson of the Mockingbird

**I have benefited my entire life from the wisdom of my mom. She has had one of the strongest voices in my life when it comes to pointing me to the Truth. How very normal it is for me, and for perhaps all of us, to cling to the world's song above the sweet melody our Creator is singing over us. She wrote this piece several years ago, but it was timely in my life this week. I am sharing it with her permission as a way to encourage someone today who needs to be reminded that  HE is singing over you. He has uniquely created you with the song that only you can sing. May our song be filled with the lilting melody of His grace and of His love. May it anchor us to heaven.** 

The Lesson of the Mockingbird

To my dear children and grandchildren,
It is early morning, and the soft glow of the rising sun is already casting its reflection on the shiny green palm leaves outside of our house.  A soft breeze is stirring, and the giant leaves seem to be waving a pleasant “Good Morning” to me.  I open the doors to welcome in the breeze, and I feel it ever so gently kiss my face.  It’s going to be a lovely day!
As I stop a moment to drink in the beauty of it all, I hear a familiar sound.  A mockingbird is waking to this new day as well, and is busily chanting a cadenza of melodies borrowed from other birds – a musical “plagiarist” of sort! One by one his songs ring out, loud and strong, as though he is trying to be heard above all the rest.  He is like a one-man orchestra tuning up for a concert.  My mind wonders -- when and where did he first hear those songs, and what prompted him to copy them?  How long have those melodies been in his little head, and just how many songs are stored away there?
After a few minutes, the bird flew off, and a strange quietness settled over my soul. As I thought back upon his music, something began to trouble me. The sad part about a mockingbird concert is that there is not one melody to remember.  He playfully segues from one song to another, and rarely repeats a line.  Sadder still is the thought that the mockingbird has no song of his own, but merely echoes the many voices around him, exotic and beautiful though they may be.  Again I wonder –- where is the song that makes him stand out from all the others; that belongs uniquely to him alone, and rings out in jubilant, personal praise to his Creator?
And then, I thought about each one of you.  Over your lifetime, into your ears will come the sounds of a myriad of voices.  Some of them will be lilting and lovely; others will be mellow and even monotone.  Some will lift your spirits, and others will break your heart.  Some will feed your soul, and others will starve it. All of them will sing their songs over and over again.  Sometimes you will become so bewildered by the cacophony of sound that you will almost forget the song that you and you only were created to sing.
Above the sound of those voices, stop to listen for the voice of your Creator.  Sometimes He will speak in the “still, small voice” of quiet meditation.  Often it will be heard at various decibels in and through the daily rhythms of life.  At other times, He will call loudly to you in the thunderous voice of adversity.  Through it all, He is the One who calls you to “be still and know” that He is God.  It is His voice and His voice only that can teach you the song that He has uniquely chosen for you.  Follow His lead and sing joyfully, with all your heart, the song that the Master Composer has Sovereignly composed for His glory and for your good.
When other voices sing out, enjoy the songs that their Heavenly Father has given to them to sing.  Learn from them; gain from them.  Draw deeply from their resources. And when, according to God’s masterful composition, it is the right time and place, add your voice in harmony to their music.
But when those voices would threaten to drown your song out, or persuade you to sing a song that is not from the heart of God, then DO THIS -- with your head back, your shoulders straight, and your arms lifted toward Heaven, sing your song back to your Divine “Maestro” all the louder!  Crescendo fortissimo! It is the most profound act of worship that you will ever give.  It is the “Hallelujah Chorus” of His “good, acceptable and perfect will” for you, accompanied by a symphony of His mercy and grace.  It is purposefully and intimately orchestrated with YOU in mind.  Always remember that it is His strength that will enable you to sing it and sing it well, and that no one longs to hear your performance more than He.
As your Mom, I will be praying, listening, applauding, and welcoming in the breeze of God’s Spirit in you.  Then, dear children, as you sing your song, I will revel in the beauty of the melody that He plays in your life, and I will cherish your song in my heart for all of my days.

All my love,
Mom

Comments

Popular Posts