Discipled on dependence: A lesson from my toddler



I am always so thankful for the whispers of God and I love knowing that He does it.  He is real and He is omnipresent and omniscient and He cares about me, so...His Spirit whispers.

 Psalm 33:13-15 " From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind; from His dwelling place he watches all who live on earth-He who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do" 

 1 John 2:27"The anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him." 

Sammy is in this wonderful stage of dependence. It makes us weary and tired and annoyed and longing for the day that he can dress himself, click himself into a carseat, make his own snack, wipe his own bottom and the list goes on. This little guy needs us. A LOT. It isn't just for the everyday things of life. Often we are his playmates and his protectors as well. Anyone that has a toddler can just nod and smile. Right. Quite different from my older two who manage quite well on their own, (and often prefer it that way, thank you very much!) working outside of our home now, and living lives that are very independent from us. They don't need us as much anymore (and they let us know this). It is really quite something to experience the extremes to be honest. I find myself missing the girls needing me and longing for the day Sam doesn't. 

I am, on the other hand, not one who loves to ask for help. I never have like it. It feels a little needy and I am too proud to admit when I am needy. I know the Holy Spirit is working on this one in me in a big and wonderful way and I can see how really cool it is to admit weakness and ask for prayer and help and even (gulp) advice when I don't know what to do. It really can be liberating to admit weakness and more than a lot "scary" for me. 

Maybe that's why I really love how God discipled me today through my dependent toddler. He smashed his little finger (again) on something and after the big tears popped out and rolled down his cheeks and several hearty wails, he held out that little finger and croaked out, "Dada, kiss it!".  His daddy promptly did as he was told and the tears miraculously stopped. Rob and I exchanged a smile and he said, "I wonder how much longer kisses will fix everything?".  So much of the dependence thing drives me literally crazy, but there are these special little somethings that I secretly hate giving up. Kissing boo-boo's? Top of that list. 

God's whisper in that moment was that  I am not very unlike my Sammy. How strange to fight to admit it.  I am weak and I need Him.  I am growing increasingly more aware of just how much. He doesn't get tired of my dependence like I do with my little one. He is okay with my dependence on Him. He actually encourages me to take all my hurt pain weakness and questions to Him (Psalm 91:15). He offers His wisdom, His acceptance and His patience with my weaknesses and He offers His love (kisses) and one day, all that needs His attention and His grace will be fixed forever.

I am thankful for a Savior who is aquatinted with my weakness and who is patient with my dependence and who is swift to meet my needs in Christ through the power of the Spirit. 

Dependence. Childlike surrender.


"Childlike surrender and trust, I believe, is the defining spirit of authentic discipleship." Brennan Manning





Comments

  1. The juxtaposition between the teaching of the world and the teaching of Scripture is so glaring to me when I read your post. We are taught almost exclusively to become independent and a large part of our education (whether at school, at home, or in society) is about taking care of ourselves. Yet, as Scripture says and you reiterate so well, God does not want us to be independent. He wants us constantly depending on Him, for things big and small, at all times and in all circumstances. It's an excellent reminder for me as a person and also as a parent. I need to keep my children mindful of their dependence on Christ even as they become more independent from me. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is simply profound. I am so glad you dusted off the gift of writing God has given you so I-and others-could benefit. I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts