I want to know you

The human journey is an interesting one.

For most of us, we don't typically find something or someone interesting unless we are given reason to. Usually our curiosity is peeked when that someone or something relates to us in some way or another. My girls recently have entered a fun stage where it is almost as if they have suddenly realized that their parents are somewhat interesting in that they have lived whole lives seperate from the one that they are familiar with. They are asking lots and lots of questions. "When did you first know that you loved dad?", "what was your first memory?", "what did you get in trouble with when you were my age?".
They love the stories especially of when their dad and I would get ourselves into trouble. Peals of laughter around the dinner table when I told them recently about how my brothers tickled me so much that I peed my pants and fell into the cat litter box.
Ya, this is good stuff. 
 Now that we have this little cherub in our house, is has been fun for my little (okay...not so little) girls to watch the dynamic between parent and child. The questions continue, "did I do that when I was little?", "when did I smile?", "do you remember what it was like when I was that little?" I smile and say that I do indeed remember. That it seems like yesterday that I was holding them. That I wrote down every little smile, coo and giggle. That I can't believe how time has flown.

 Their little perspectives are so off in a way, because they only see this little part. They remember nothing of those early days. They know nothing of how their dad and I fell in love. They know nothing of the journey that Jesus took me on in those early days of living and falling in love with Him.
They only see a part
It is the discovery that is deepening their understanding of us. In some ways, even their respect for us. But, most importantly it helps them to know who THEY are. Where they came from, what they were like. It gives them a deeper understanding and a greater appreciation for who they are.

 I think back myself to listening and learning from my parents stories. How I would love to hear about the family dynamic and how they grew up. It was like reading the biography of someone you felt that you knew only to find out you knew so very, very little of them. Sometimes, even I would say, "dad, tell me about the time..." Followed by one of my favorite stories.

 I was praying this morning and asking The Lord to reveal more of Himself to me. I was even singing in my heart that praise song, 
"I want to know you...I want to seek your face...I want to know you more." 
It struck me that my Heavenly Father wants this! He is thrilled to tell me His story. The more I ask Him to tell me more (by reading His word and through The Holy Spirit) the more I know who I am and the more confident I am in His love for me and I understand the big picture of the depth of His love for me. 
It blows my mind when I understand that His love for me and His plan for me goes infinitely beyond what I can see or have seen. He chose me before the foundation of the world, this verse says, to be His. To be holy and blameless...to be adopted as His child. 
 "Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love, He predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved." Ephesians 1 
 Spending time with Him helps me to know Him, which helps and sharpens my depth of love and appreciation for Hm. But it helps me to know myself. To know how loved I am. To have a broader look at the plans that have been set forth for me since before the world was formed. 
 Awesome.

Comments

Popular Posts