Seasons...change


I took a drive yesterday.


Might seem like that is no biggie, but up here in the Adirondacks? In the fall? Well... It is magical. The colors were vibrant and the sun was streaming through my window and I kept sighing. Over and over again.


A change in seasons.


Having lived in Florida for much of my married life, I can honestly say that I have a brand new appreciation for all the seasons up here. I love watching the summer turn to fall in the bursts of color and the drop in temperature. I was all bundled up for my outing yesterday and my hubby smiled and kissed me, "you love being cozy," he said. It's true! I still get a bit giddy when the first snow blankets the ground and covers the trees with its icy tentacles. I love the refreshing promise of spring with the first little buds in my garden pushing through the cold ground and bringing new life and sunshine and beauty... I love the seasons!


Lovingly, the Creator, the Great Artist orchestrates them; the seasons. He whispers to the seeds in the frozen ground, "It's time".

He holds the storehouses of snow, He "fathers the drops of dew". (Job 38).


I am astounded by the idea that anyone could look at the brilland reds and golds at fall and not think that it is the miraculous work of the Creator. Makes me think of that verse in Romans 1 that speaks of His "invisible qualities and divine nature" being clearly seen.


There was a pounding in my heart yesterday as I took in those "invisible qualities", they were clearly seen by me. I almost felt like shouting, " I see You!"

I was moved for many reasons yesterday. We are in a season of change in our own lives as well. Perhaps that is why my heart was so reflective.

We have been thankful for this season here at Word of Life. Thankful for the rest, for the healing, for the friendships and for the great opportunities that we have had to regroup, refresh and regain perspective. It has been a gift from God to us in every sense of the word. We are truly thankful for these past two years here. Deeply thankful.


But, as with any change of season, there is the inevitable change part. The great difference between the leaves changing and my own heart is the beauty of my will. It pleases Him to yield myself to it and to prayerfully condition my heart to listen to His voice and to respond in obedience. My life is now "hidden in Christ." The trees do as their Maker commands. No questions asked. They do as they have been created to do. I will do the same, trusting that the seasons will bring forth fruit and harvest. If not, then I will remain like a barren field, never seeing the miracle of growth.


Tozer talked about this in my devotional book this morning. The title was "Miracles follow the plow". What a vivid picture. Two types of fields. The fallow field and the cultivated field.The fallow field is as he describes, "smug, contented, protected from the shock of the plow and the agitation of the harrow." He goes on to say that this type of field will never know fruit because it is afraid of the plow and the harrow.


The cultivated field has yielded itself to the adventure of living. He says, "The field has felt the travail of change; it has been upset, turned over, bruised and broken, but its rewards come hard upon its labors. The seed shoots up into the daylight its miracles of life, curious, exploring the new world above it...nature's wonders follow the plow."




We are leaving our home here in Schroon Lake and in January we will be moving to Broadalbin, New York and Rob has accepted a position as the Interim Senior Pastor at a church there. We are so excited to see what God will do in and through our lives. We covet your prayers! How often we have nearly turned back out of fear of the plow and the harrow! And yet...




The Creator says to us, His created ones, "It is time", and our hearts respond, trusting that He, as promised, will complete the work in us that He began.




"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10



























Comments

  1. What a beautiful blog!! What is the name of your devotional book?
    Will you be closer to your brother in New York? That would be great! I will be praying for you and your family:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie! Just found your blog! Love it! Miss you and Rob and the girls. They are growing up so fast and so beautiful! How is life these days?
    Laura
    everafterhendricks@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts