Choosing to Praise




My father has had a chronic illness for all of my life. It hasn't defined him.



My mother has been there beside him the entire time. Not just there physically, but with a smile on her face, a light in her eyes and joy in her heart she has purposfully chosen to embrace what God has chosen for her.



The last ten or so years have hit my mom physically in a way that no one can explain. She has continued, through her tears, to open up her hands in worship to God without a voice, but with a heart full of sacrificial praise.



In the midst of my own heartaches, I have been tempted to wallow. To crawl back into bed. Believe me, there are those days for ALL of us. And sometimes I think they are necessary for survival. But, staying there isn't an option.



It is a choice

I have kept this poem in my bible for several years. It always means somthing new to me as I journey along. My mother wrote it. It means so much more to read this knowing that the author understands what it means to feel pain, to watch a love one suffer, to experience the loss of a dream and to put passions on hold.



My parents, and all those who I have had the privelage of watching as they journey through this life, are heroes of my faith because they are fleshing out what it looks like to be real in the the pain and feel the pain and be angry at the pain but to also understand that hope is not found here on this earth. Because of SIN we are dying, but because of RIGHTEOUSNESS (not our own) we are being renewed day by day. Because of the cross, one day all the suffering of earth will be gone. That is our hope. We don't find hope here on this earth because outside of Him, there is none.



Today, friend, whatever it is that you are facing. Whatever pain you are enduring, I pray that this will bless you as it always blesses me. I pray that you will CHOOSE to praise the only One who can bring freedom, hope and light to your life.






"Choosing to Praise"



Oh, Lord, I need to talk to you.I'm feeling down today.



I need to know Your heart and feel Your presence as I pray.
You welcome me to boldly come before Your throne of grace.


Before I ask, You know my needs,


and every tear You trace.
You tenderly embrace me there and whisper "I am here!"


That's when I pour out all my heart

into Your list'ning ear.

 And even as my tears fall down on Your Almighty breast,


Your everlasting arms uphold


and give my spirit rest.

Your faithfulness renews my hope.


Your love meets every need.


Your rest restores my wearied soul;


Your peace...it comforts me.

Before I know, my burdened heart


is filled with glorious praise.


To You, Oh God above all gods,


up-lifted hands I raise!

For You have done great things for me!


How wondrous are Your ways!


How great, Lord, is Your faithfulness,


with mercies new each day.

If I could count Your glorious deeds,


The stars would be outnumbered.


I cast the cares that rob my sleep


on You, who never slumbers.

It's you, my God, who is my joy!


It's You who meets my need!


It's You who satifies my soul


as on Your word I feed.

My every hope is built on You...


How firm is that foundation!


There is no other one but You


who offers me salvation.

I will my heart to wait on You;


You do well in all things!


With strength renewed,


I'll rise and soar


as if on eagles wings.

I raise my head to see Your face...


Your smile of grace astounds me.


And even as I turn to leave,


Your presence still surrounds me.

Because I am Your child,


I know;all things work out for good.


You promise purpose in my pain,


and I will trust Your word.

In spite of all I may endure,


I will, by faith, proclaim...


"I may not understand Your ways,


but I choose to praise Your name!"



~Patty Fischer


September 17, 2007

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts