Loved

I was in the grocery store a few months back and the lady at the checkout counter said to me,

"Honey, you look like someone who is loved."

It actually took me a back a bit. What a compliment! I have been married to the love of my life for almost 13 years, and to think that I might still have that sparkle in my eye, the spring to my step, the flush to my cheeks that would shout to the world that I am a woman in love! It is true that I love Rob more today than the day I met him and it is also true that I am loved GREATLY by him. He reminds me daily how thankful he is to be with me. That I said "yes!", that I share life with him and walk this journey with him. He often spoils me with gifts, hugs me randomly while I am in the kitchen, and always remembers to kiss me goodnight. Provides for me and the girls spiritually, physically and emotionally. I have been blessed beyond measure with the love of this man.



But, he is not my first love.

But, maybe she was thinking of him at all, though.
Maybe she was thinking of the two blond headed, little ladies I had in tow with me that day. Girls, who just by their very existence remind me of the love I share with my husband. Girls, who will leave little love notes on my bed at night,who will wrap their arms around me before bedtime for that extra hug and whisper, "love you mom". They look to me for approval, love, affection, support and security. That is a great love.

But, they are not my first love.


Maybe she is talking about the love and support I have from my family and my friends. Those who I know "have my back". Who, if I needed encouragement, a kick in the pants, a spiritual truth, a right perspective or a good cry would be there for me. I have been so loved in my lifetime. Godly grandparents on both sides. Aunts, uncles, cousins, extended family, loving parents and in-laws, brothers and sister, life-long friends...the list goes on.



I am loved. She is so right.


But, it isn't enough.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I am humbled by their love for me. But, their love, although wonderful , at its best isn't enough. Their love will give me joy, but not infinite joy. It will bring me comfort, but not eternally. Their love is temporal reflection of my first love. My great love.

A undeserved loved.

The love of my Maker, Creator, Sustainer, Friend.
He loved me when I was unlovely and He pursued me when I despised Him (Romans 5). He sings over me when I am without song (Zephaniah 3:17). He carries me when I am weak (Isaiah 40). He gives me peace when I am in unrest (Phillipians 4:7). He gives me a hope(Hebrews 6:19), a purpose(Romans 9:17), a future (Jeremiah 29:11), a reason to live and took the sting out of death.
I am loved by a gracious, lovely God who knows me and still loves me!
The gospel should transform me every moment of every day. How often I am thankful for my eternal security but forget to embrace the fact that I have been chosen (Ephesians 1), I have been infinitely loved and accepted not because of my goodness, coolness,relevance or my righteousness. (Romans 9:18)

How easily I believe that I am judged by God on the same scale that the world judges me on. It is a misconception that the devil would love to drill into my head. How often I believe the lie.I read this the other day and I am rereading it over and over again, praying that it sinks in.

"We are staggering around under the misconception that we really do need to love and respect OURSELVES to make it through the day. We're reeling from the belief that the most important factor in any given day is our success or comfort.We forget who we are; incalculably sinful men and woman who are loved immeasurably by an infinitely holy God. We also forget how we are to respond: in grateful obedience. We fail to respond because we've forgotten the comfort of the gospel; we've been welcome, purified, and made acceptable by God's direct and loving intervention, and we think we have to fight to get what we mistakenly believe we need. Everything we needed to be done for us has been done. We don't need to fight to gain his love and acceptance."
!
Today, (please God, every day) may I revel in the unmerited favor and immeasurable love that You has lavished on me in spite of myself. May Your love for me transform my daily life in such a way that I clearly show in my behavior to others AND in the way that I view and treat myself that I am loved. May a watching world see your love for me in every thing that I do, say and think. May I REVEL in your love so much that the world will look at me and say, "She is a woman who is loved."


ps. YOU ARE TOO.

Psalms 34:5: "Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame."

Comments

  1. Ahhh...like water in the desert: An immensely refreshing read! Loved it. Thank you so much, Anners.
    (and I will admit I was so happy and honored to be pictured in the lineup of those who love you so much!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came here by way of Jeane. A beautiful and thoughtful post. Thank you for the encouraging reminder.... that we have all we need in Jesus. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This my dear friend, is one of the best, most profoundly, yet so simply, written blog posts that I have ever read. Love the way you shared this! It should be written in a pamphlet with the pictures included, and be used to hand out to everyone. It is the perfect reminder of who you(we)are, and how we are loved beyond anything we could possibly imagine by our Heavenly Father. I am so blessed by my visit here, as I always am.

    By the way, I agree, you do have the most wonderful parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed your friend Jeane over here...I can see why you are friends! I love the LOVE you speak of...for your husband, your children, your friends...but especially of the One who remains when the others go away. So thankful He is mine and has enough left over for you too! Funny how I don't feel even a bit jealous about that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I love this post... You are loved and you radiate that love to everyone you come in contact with... love You!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you...Thank you for your example my sweet friend! You truly are LOVED!!! Isn't God SO GOOD to us?! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts