Walkabout- Tracing the Songlines


"God? What are you doing?"

I am pretty sure that question has been bouncing around in my head now for the last few months. I had just never uttered it out loud. I did the other day. I leaned in on my sink and peered into my reflection and said it out loud. Silence. Then this,
"I am taking you on a walk about."

Clearly, not the answer I was expecting. A walkabout? What was that? I pulled from the far recesses of my mind. ( Yes, frightening) and remembered hearing something about this in a recent movie that I had watched.

A walk about.

A journey. A spiritual journey. Here's what the wikipedia said about it...


"Walkabout refers to a rite of passage where male Australian Aborigines would undergo a journey during adolescence and live in the wilderness for a period as long as six months. In this practice they would trace the paths, or "songlines", that their people's ceremonial ancestors took, and imitate, in a fashion, their heroic deeds. Merriam-Webster, however, defines the noun as a 1908 coinage that refers primarily to "a short period of wandering bush life engaged in by an Australian aborigine as an occasional interruption of regular work."


I won't soon forget the look on Rob's face the night I came home from an outing with some ladies from church. I had never seen him look like that before. Head bent over his bible. Guitar out. He looked up at me and I saw the tears.

"What?"

" Annie, God wants me to say something tomorrow. It's different from the message that I had planned. It is from God. I might loose my job."

Gulp.

"K..."

I didn't hear much of his message on that next day. My heart was thundering in my ears too much. What I remember was him saying was that he couldn't pretend anymore and that he was dry and wanted more. I remember him talking about getting honest with God and not playing church. I remember kneeling with him on the front pew and looking up for a moment to see all 250 people in the room on their knees. " God of this City" was playing. The air was thick with something. People were crying. Husbands and wives were on their knees praying. Our precious teens. One man lying on the floor and another embracing him.

For about a week things were amazing. People were talking about revival and getting honest. Honest about sin, honest about thier homes, honest about their desire to appear perfect.

Then, out of nowhere it happened. The first rumor. Where did it come from?


"Rob wants to take over the church. He's ambitious. He's too passionate. He is going to take over the church."

What?

The enemy. It has to be. It is. We went from being on our knees to being at each other's throats and in and instant everything was lost in a puff of smoke.

One thing led to another. And another and another. Things unraveled so fast that my head is still spinning. Meetings. Phone calls. Accusations. Betrayal. Slander. Gossip. Destruction. SIN.

Even a suicide at our front door step didn't get the attention of our people. No one would listen. No one would hear. More meetings. Confusion.

Rob and I would go to our church on Saturday evenings with our two precious girls and we would weep and we would cry out to God to cleanse and heal and break and unite.

God heard us. He answered. Not in the way that I expected.


I wanted to be in on it. I wanted God to show up. To show off. I wanted to witness the transforming work of His healing power and restoration.

We went away for a few weeks. Two of the weeks were planned. The third week was all God. Our car broke down in New York and we were faced with this time of dependency on others and a complete visual of what the Lord was asking us to do. Our landlord called and told us that he was selling our house. We asked God for clarity and He spoke. This time it was clear as day. Released.

" I order your steps."


Rob resigned on a Wednesday. There was peace in the midst of the unknown. There was laughter mingled in with our tears. To let go of a dream and to relinquish it is both a frightening task and a liberating one. I can't really explain it.

We obeyed God. It wasn't neat. It wasn't pretty. It was downright messy. But, we obeyed.

So, right now we are on a walk about with God. Tracing songlines of our ancestors. Taking a faith walk. Praying that we would be faithful in this new task of waiting and as we walk this unknown path that we would learn more of ourselves and more of our God and that we would come through it changed.

We are broken. We are not lost.

"For the Lord is a God of justice; blessed are those who wait for Him. He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry. As soon as He hears it, He answers you. And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your Teacher will not hide himself anymore, but your eyes shall see your Teacher. And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, ' This is the way, walk in it', when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left." Isaiah 30:18-21

Comments

  1. Wow Annie -

    This is beautiful...

    I know things are uncertain right now, but you will find (especially if church planting is in your future)that "not knowing" is sometimes the safest place to be. Because when you "don't know" - all you have left to do is to lay back in the hands of God and let him carry you to the next point.

    The verse that comes quickly to my heart for you guys is Isaiah 26:3 - "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you."

    And if you're in the Central VA area in your walkabout, please do come visit us at Crossroads...we'd love to have you!!

    Love & Prayers!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie..........please know that Mike and I will be in prayer for you as God leads you down the unknown roads of HIS PERFECT PLAN!!! My heart breaks and weeps with you.....LOVE YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's plan is perfect. I have tried my whole life to have all my ducks in a row and without fail he always has a way of keeping us on his agenda and not ours. And when we hold loosely to our ministry- as though it could be swept out of our lives at any moment-and he still chooses to keep it in our lives- those are the times when we feel the most secure in him. Just know that at the end of the day, you are in the palm of your heavenly father's hand and you have each other. What a testimony to keep your eyes on Him through all this. Thank you for your example. I love you girl and am here for you in the midst of all this. Lets do a girls day out- just us 2- soon. Massages at Aveda St Pete??? My treat! Grace and Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, So pure and honest are your hearts. You and Rob have been a great blessing and example to me, and I am blessed to call you both friend. I am praying for you daily and know that our Lord and Saviour has mighty things planned for you. I love you both.

    Keriann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Beautiful Lady! How can I be praying for you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie,
    Keriann sent me the link to this post. I cannot tell you what a blessing it was to me. I had to link to it on my fb.

    What an AMAZING story. I hope it encourages you to know that you are not alone, in the dryness, and the longing for more. I wish I could have heard Rob's message that night, truly.

    It is amazing what happened at your church, and how the devil rose right up to challenge the work of God. It is truly a battle ground.

    You will be in my prayers as He leads your family on His "walk about". Thank you for sharing, but most of all thank you to you and your dear husband for being willing to obey, regardless of the cost. I shared this with my son (18), and daughter (20). We are on a "walk about" ourselves.

    God bless you all, Keriann's Mom, Lisa

    The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places... Habakkuk 3:19

    p.s. You have an amazing gift in writing, you should really use it to serve if you aren't already :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts