The Tide


I don't like to think about death. It is not my favorite topic. But it does happen. Inevitably I must think about it. Whether it be because I am faced with it by the means of loosing someone that I have lost, or have heard about someone dying, or whether it will be because I must face that one day I too, will die.


It is strange to talk about death. Especially, I think, with children. It is almost as if you don't want them to have to think about the idea of life being short or fleeting or as the bible says, "a vapor."


The topic came up the other day. It's not like I have never approached this subject with the girls before, but this time it was different. This time it was there in front of them.


We were walking the beach in St. Augustine this last weekend. It was a gorgeous night. The sun was just setting, so the sky was the color of pink sherbet with purple swirls running through. The wind was whipping our hair about us and the temp was starting to drop so we were snuggling together, squealing as the icy Atlantic would nip at our toes with the splash of a wave. It was a lovely night.


Then, we stumbled upon what at first looked to be a giant rock. Upon closer examination we discovered that this rock had a large X on it. This giant rock turned out to be a dead sea turtle.

It was the first time that I had, of course ever been up that close to a real sea turtle. I had only ever seen one through a chain link fence at the zoo.


At first, the girls were thrilled to be seeing a real, LIVE sea turtle, only to answer with horror upon hearing from their daddy that this beautiful turtle was in fact, dead.


"DEAD!" They both inadvertently covered their mouths in horror. It couldn't be dead. There must be some other explanation. It was just resting, or just so old that it couldn't move very fast. No, their daddy now had them in his arms. It was dead. Gone.


The conversation for the rest of our walk on the beach was an interesting one. It was a perfect time to talk about the inevitable.


I wish I could capture their hearts on this page and recite to you the conversation that came after, but they are forever locked in my heart.


What I will say is that I remember thinking of how fleeting life is. I remember hearing Rob say to them that if there were no end to this life that life in and of itself would not be precious. That it would not be special. I thought that was beautiful.


Of course, for me. For us, there is hope in death. There is life in death. There is no fear in death. Death means new life for us. Death has been swallowed up in victory. Death, where is your sting?


It brings about thoughts of thankfulness to the One who has conquered death and the cross for me to have that hope.


The tide was coming in, which was yet another reminder to me of the seasons and moments of life, so we washed off our feet and headed home. The memory of that time of the beach with my little girls, forever etched in my heart.


Yes, death is inevitable. Yes, it happens. It will to me, and it will to you. I have to face it, look at it, and examine it. But it doesn't have to be hopeless. It is as much a part of my journey as anything is and it makes my time here and the days I have with those I love, beautiful.


"Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!"

Comments

  1. Thanks so much Annie for posting this and I especially loved what Rob told your girls about how if there was no death then life would not be as special and precious! That really helped me to view death differently, never heard that before! Maybe you or Rob can answer this question too: As Christians when we die we live forever in Heaven, for ever and ever and ever, we will never cease to be alive...that is "scary" to me, even though I did read the book "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn. I just can't seem to be okay with living forever but then again I would want nothing else.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts