God and Chocolate

Morgan is my sugar baby. She always has been. She is always sneaking into the candy jar where I have hidden bribes...err...lolipops stashed. She loves it!

As I was cleaning up from breakfast the other morning she walked in with a piece of Ghirardelli chocolate that I had received at a baby shower a few days before. ( hidden, so I thought). She batted her eyes at me and smiled shyly, "momma, can I have some of this yummy chocolate?".

Normally, I would find her hard to resist, but not this day. I shook my head and said she must wait until at least lunch. ( mother of the year..)

She seemed pleased with that and stashed her treasure somewhere only she knows and that was that.

I fully expected that she might forget, but not this child. She happily brought in her chocolate after lunch and said, "NOW?"

I smiled and said she could. She then opened it as she bounced up and down happily. She looked at me knowingly and said, " You know, mom, the two things I love the most in this world is chocolate and God."

I put my head back and laughed so hard! She laughed too, but I am assuming only because I was laughing. She had stated it with such rare honesty.

I have been thinking of that over the last few days. How simple. How refreshing. My little girl truly does love God. I have watched her fall more and more in love with Him. It is astounding really. He is apart of her life in every way. She doesn't have to have a degree in Theology to know that what she knows about Him, she loves. He is right up there with her love for chocolate!

I know it might sound childish, but that really is the point. I spend so many hours in my day, in my week, weighing out TRUTH and what I THINK I know about God and His kingdom and what pleases Him and how to vote and how to love and how to love Him... the list goes on.

My little one just DOES. That is essentially why I think Jesus was so attracted to children. Why He tells us to be like them when approaching the kingdom of heaven.

I think it is so important to be studying and learning and grappling, but there is something so sweet about the scene with Jesus asking the disciples not to turn the children away from Him. I have always loved that part of scripture and so glad that it is in there. He knew that we complicate it so much with our doctrine and our ideology. It is so simple. Love me. Believe in me, and you will see God.

I pray that I will keep it simple and follow my little one's example.

"Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God."

Comments

  1. What a WONDERFULLY REFRESHING reminder!!!! SO true....
    Thank you for sharing...
    J.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts